Monday, November 30, 2009

Haig's Delicacies

I know I mentioned Haig's in my earlier blog about ethnic markets and delis in Richmond but I love this place so much I knew I had to do a whole post on it in order to do it justice.

So just a quick recap- Haig's Delicacies, located at 642 Clement St., is a small market and deli that specializes in Mediterranean food and products. Haig, an Armenian immigrant from Istambul who opened the store in 1956, no longer owns the store but it is still run by members of his family.

And I am so glad they do because this is one of my favorite places in Richmond. The market section alone is impressive. Imported candy, drinks, spices, coffee, tea and specialty products from around the Middle East and Mediterranean. They even sell some Asian products. But my favorite part about Haig's is their food. I can't get enough of it!

Now, full disclosure here, I come from a Greek family and grew up eating Mediterranean food. Whether that makes me biased toward a place like this, I can't say for sure. What I can say is that in my 3 years of living in San Francisco I have yet to find Mediterranean food that even comes close to how amazing this place is for the price.

This is the dolma sandwich- pita bread filled with fresh dolmas, lettuce, feta cheese and tomatoes. Their dolmas (or dolmathes if you're Greek) are some of the best I've had. (Dolmas are grape leaves stuffed with rice and spices).


This is their Mediterranean plate on the left- it comes with dolmas, pita and hummus, olives, feta cheese, tabouli salad, and falafels with tahini sauce. On the right is spankopita- spinach pie made with filo dough.

And if you don't want to just take my word for it, check them out on yelp. Yelpers love this place too!

No comments:

Post a Comment